Thursday, February 24, 2011

Show and Tell

Presentation I: Anna
As I walked up to the front of the room I carefully undid the rubber band around my small fragile shells.  The small Wentletraps, with a bit of the soft sweet Sanibel sand still in them, were hurriedly passed around the classroom as I explained the story of the fierce rivalry between my mom and me. I held the prize shell in my hand, afraid that if I pass it around it might break, and I looked at it for brief amounts of time before remembering that I should be looking up.  For some reason, the swirled almost frosting-like shell attracted my eyes magnetically.  Gesturing, I described how I had found the shell right where my mother was looking and acted out the tentativeness in my mind as I went for the snag.  A smattering of applause followed me back to my seat.
                                                                                      
Explanation I
Alliteration: "soft sweet Sanibel sand"
Metaphor: "magnetically"
Descriptive alternatives: instead of grab, "snag;" instead of a bit, "smattering."


Presentation II: Charlie
Charlie confidently but casually strode up to the front of the class.  He was wearing his item: a Camel backpack that helped him through a very rough time.  Unlike anyone else, he paced while talking about his experience while his hands flung about wildly gesticulating his nail-bitingly intense tale. When he got to the part about him slipping down a path and injuring his leg, he gave a small laugh before telling of his screw-up.  His eyes squinted a bit as if he was remembering the feeling in his ankle as he lay injured a mile into the trail but still stood tall, cockily putting his thumbs underneath his backpack straps as if they were suspenders. 

Explanation II
Descriptive adverbs: "cockily," "nail-bitingly"
Made-up word: "nail-bitingly"
Simile: "as if they were suspenders"


Presentation III: Bonet
"I'm shaking!" Bonet laughed a bit as she told me before going up to the stage. Despite her somewhat frazzled nerves and the sadness of her story she smiled at the audience and never looked down.  Her two masks were tangled together as she held them and showed how you would wear them.  Her face darkened as she explained how as a kid she would seek attention for being sick to the point where she would like about it.  Her "The Girl Who Cried Sick" tale increased in sadness as she told, for most likely the first time, the whole story behind her medical history the past year.  She explained with sadness in her voice and eyes how she had to lie to people about her ailments.  Her words seemed to come out in a rush, like they were a burden she was lifting off of her heart.    

Explanation III
Metaphor: "like they were a burden"
I'm not sure what to classify this under: "'The Girl Who Cried Sick' tale"
Descriptive phrases "words seemed to come out in a rush," "face darkened," "burden she was lifting"

No comments:

Post a Comment